Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Spirituality and Money - Should God's Gifts Be Free?

Early in July, Arjuna Ardagh wrote a post about spirituality and money and either spirituality should be "given away" for free. Arjuna wrote, "There's a coarse saying in India that if a instructor charges money for "the dharma" (which loosely translated means "teachings about the truth") that he or she will go to a extra section of hell set aside for spiritual entrepreneurs, an area cornered off and designed to be much nastier than the areas for axe murderers, rapists, and the like."

Arjuna also noted that there's another opposite but well-established tradition in India called "dana." "You never go to a instructor empty-handed. If you want the blessings of the teacher, you should come adequate with baskets of fruit, cloth, and all other kinds of goodies," Arjuma noted.

I was not aware of this Eastern trust but it sure sounds strangely familiar. Growing up in the Christian tradition, specifically Catholic, I can understand the blurring around spirituality and money. On the one hand, a similar sentiment exists amongst some that spirituality should be free. On the other hand, donations were not only standard but required. In fact, in some European countries today, Church taxes are still a part of one's wage tax obligation.

Not too long ago, I learned that the Catholic Church had circulated the idea that spirituality should be free in order to support control and to limit the spread of alternative viewpoints and philosophies. (The major religions as well as other vested interests have always demonstrated enthusiasm about holding onto their power.) I also learned there was a lot of blurring and misinformation around Jesus Christ's mission (which was financially supported by his rich uncle). This blurring adds to the irrationality surrounding the topic of spirituality and money.

So why am I writing about this? One reckon is that a gentleman who receives my free weekly newsletter (let's call him "my critic") emailed me, saying, "Your articles are wonderful. Your book is probably even better. in fact speaking, however, such vital facts should be offered for Free... After all, Christ said: You get gifts (knowledge) for free. Give free gifts."

Really? I wasn't aware that Christ in fact said this, but I am aware that you can find your inner truth for free. All you must do is "look within." (So go ahead...just do it.) However, if you want someone's time, insights, resources or shortcuts, be ready to pay (a fair price).

I used to work as a materials engineer, but the last any years I have been called to solve some other types of problems--namely those centered around 2012, reconnecting and integrating with your higher self, and activating the shift in consciousness that will solve humanity's biggest problems. I wrote a incorporate of books about what I have learned and I sell one on Amazon; another book (an ebook) I sell on my website.

The Counsel of Light (spiritual beings from a higher realm who made me aware of my mission) have always told me that money was the by-product of being of service to humanity. They never hinted that there was something wrong with getting paid for one's work, and they were well aware of my concerns to pay my rent and put food on the table for my family.

The reckon why there are irrational ideas about spirituality and money is there's a lot of blurring and false beliefs that have been perpetuated by those whose former goal has been to growth their power.

One former false trust is that only sure things are spiritual, that there is a disjunction in the middle of yourself and God. But who says water isn't spiritual, or the electricity that powers your refrigerator, or the gasoline that powers your car? Native Americans believed that all things was spiritual, that all things originated from spirit. (If you can get people to believe that spirituality is confined to the Church or to sure limited areas, you can get them to believe other strange things as well.) people have funny ideas about spirituality and money.

I have come to understand that God is All That Is.

Anyway, the critic who demanded stuff for free is literal, in saying that my books are way more essential and informative than my articles. That's because it's impossible to take a book that brings forth a new paradigm and preserve it into a short narrative without losing the key concepts, the core of the material, the insights that not only make things click but that motivate and inspire. It's like condensing Einstein's system of Relativity into a short article. Can you expect to have a deep understanding of part Mechanics by reading just a few articles?

People are also irrational about the value they place on "spiritual things." But as they learn the extent the spiritual realm affects all other areas of life (including one's higher purpose, success, and money), the more they will begin to value it.

For instance for 12 dollars you can get about 4 gallons of gas (which will take you approximately a hundred miles in distance), or you can get the eBook that my critic wanted for free (which can give you deep understanding and peace of mind). It is in fact not that difficult to do the math.

My critic went further--by pointing out to me that mom Theresa has done a great deal of good by receiving donations, he hinted that maybe I should ask for donations (from others of course; for him, my books should be free...). But asking for donations is not how I want to spend my time. I'd rather write to help others. And as a sovereign being (the highest in spiritual ideals is that we are all sovereign), neither do I want to feel indebted to those who donate. (Yuck!) I aim to be clear and free always and in all ways.

Being clear and free inside requires a clear replacement of energy. Demanding that something be free is contrary to that principle, and so is being dependent on benefactors for one's survival. Look at the example of advertisers and the media. It is well known that advertisers wield a great deal of sway on the media, even on supposedly social radio.

My critic also said that those who choose to sell God's gifts short-change themselves greatly. (Really?) I wondered if he meant the gift of understanding of the material universe or the gift of logic honed at an Ivy League university I attended (for which I paid dearly in terms of money as well as hard work). What about God's other gifts--the gift of music or song, the gift of technical skill or cooking ability, the gift of carpentry or painting? Should those gifts too be given away for free?

Perhaps one day electricity will be free, but in the meantime we pay for it just as we pay for the books we want, or for people's time. Possibly one day all things will be free, but before that time we need to deal with what's right in front of us, what's in the gift moment--including the false beliefs that cloud our foresight and understanding. There are many irrational beliefs and ideas about spirituality and money, but they can be cleared if the someone is willing to learn. All it takes is a bit of internal contemplation and rational examination.

her latest blog Spirituality and Money - Should God's Gifts Be Free? her latest blog


No comments:

Post a Comment